Wednesday 9 May 2012

Review of Patrick Hughes: Studiospective open studio


09/05/12
Patrick Hughes
Open Studio: Studiospective

“Yes, my paintings are oxymoronic. They are contradictory just as I am. That’s where I come from – from thinking absurdly.” This is the proud proclamation of accidental artist, Patrick Hughes (born 20 October 1939), during a talk as part of an open studio afternoon he is hosting in his spacious workshop in the heart of London’s trendy Shoreditch.


“I became a visual artist when I went to college. In the English Department to which I was applying they asked me which writers I liked. I answered Franz Kafka, Eugene Ionesco, Lawrence Sterne, N.F. Simpson, Christian Morgenstern and Samuel Butler. They said, ‘You should be in the Art Department.’ So I became an artist.”

To read the rest of this review please go to: http://diary.darlingcollective.com/?p=528

No comments:

Post a Comment